Monday, July 12, 2010

The fruits of the garden

some of our small yellow squash


my one and only giant zucchini



some of the numerous yellow tomatoes


My garden hasn't done very well lately. If you'll recall, I refused to put chemicals on it because I wanted to keep it organic. Wellllll, the bugs liked that idea. I had some white grubs that ate the inside of the stalks out of my zucchini and squash plants so the plants have all but died. So sad. I did get one really huge zucchini off of it (which I made into bread-yum!), but I don't know if I'll get any more. I got a few yellow squash, but the rest just began to rot off the vine. Bummer. I also believe I wasn't watering it enough for about a week and that probably didn't help matters either. I've gotten several small cucumbers which are very tasty. I've gotten good parsley and my tomatoe plant is actually doing really well. They are yellow tomatoes, so I have to remember not to leave them on the vine forever waiting for them to turn red, but besides that, they have done well. :) I've read about some milky spore thing that gets rid of grubs, and about some flowers to plant that may ward off the insects as well, so maybe next year I'll try those things in order to still keep it organic and fend off the bugs. My father in laws peaches are all gone and I'm so sad because they were SOOOOOO good. He has a plum and peach tree and they were just filled with fruit this year.





Anyway, hopefully next year will be better. It was my first ever garden so even though it wasn't a huge success, I still got several yummy things from it.

2 comments:

Min said...

I won't put chemicals on my garden either, it's just not good for us. Sometimes I plant extra to "share" with the bugs, sometimes I have replanted some things (zucchini) two or three times in a season until the grasshoppers have moved on, sometimes I just give up (certain herbs the grasshoppers just love).

Congrats on your first garden!

Jen said...

I have to admit, the first thing I noticed when I saw that squash picture with W. is that she has a LONG purple thumb nail!! HA HA HA HA
That zucchini you're holding is awesome...but I can't believe you turned it into BREAD when you could have sauteed or grilled it and eaten it in its purest (and most organic) form!!! tsk tsk! ha ha..I'm just kidding! Actually, I'm not complaining since I stuffed my face with 2 of your zucchini cookies! :o)
Yay for you and being all organic and healthy! Matt just watered Miracle Gro into our garden last night...we'll see if it helps!